Attorney General Ashley Moody released a resource for Floridians to use for protection against fraud. Scams at a Glance is an outreach program with information about common and emerging scams. The downloadable brochures are designed to teach consumers how to avoid falling victim to fraudulent schemes. The brochures and other information on the website are available in both English and Spanish. Scams highlighted include imposter scams, tech support scams and more. Savvy consumers can stop fraud in its tracks, but they must know what to look for.
Some general signs of common scams include:
- Unsolicited calls or emails;
- High-pressure tactics or too-good-to-be-true offers;
- Threats of loss if immediate action is not taken; and
- Requests for immediate payment by wire transfer, credit, prepaid debit, or gift cards.
Attorney General Moody is also working hard to educate Floridians about new and upcoming scams through the Consumer Alert program. Scams at a Glance is another fraud prevention tool to help support Consumer Alerts and bolster consumer knowledge about common scam tactics.MyFloridaLegal.com or call 1(866) 9NO-SCAM.
To download and print the tri-fold brochures please see below:
Keep Your Cool
With temperatures rising, HVAC scammers may attempt to exploit consumers’ urgency to repair or replace AC units.
Robotexts and Robocalls
Spam robotexts are now more prevalent than illegal robocalls—scammers try to steal victim’s personal or financial information with texts that contain malicious links.
On the Move
It’s important to know what to look out for when hiring moving companies to avoid falling victim to a scam and losing money or personal property.
With the quick rise in popularity of cryptocurrency, scammers may prey on the unsuspecting.
- Scams at a Glance: IRS Imposters
- Scams at a Glance: Charity Scams
- Scams at a Glance: Tax Identity Theft
- Scams at a Glance: Phantom Debt
- Scams at a Glance: Price Gouging
- Scams at a Glance: Coronavirus Scams
- Scams at a Glance: Swindling Sweethearts
- Scams at a Glance: Identity Theft
- Scams at a Glance: Stimulus Scams
- Scams at a Glance: Tis the Season
- Scams at a Glance: After the Storm
- Scams at a Glance: Tech Support Edition
- Scams at a Glance: Protect Our Patriots