Attorney General Pam Bondi News Release
“Whether you’re in line or online, identity thieves capitalize on the holiday shopping season. Consumers should be vigilant when making purchases and refrain from responding to unsolicited emails requesting personal information,” stated Attorney General Pam Bondi.
Below are tips for ensuring a safer holiday shopping season:
· empty wallets of extra credit cards and identification cards, and close all unused credit card or bank accounts;
· shred pre-approved credit applications, credit card receipts, bills, and other financial information before discarding them;
· use a credit card or a secured online payment system, such as PayPal, when making a purchase online;
· update anti-virus software on computers to avoid downloading malware from poorly protected sites;
· ask when your order will be shipped and when it will arrive;
· know the return and refund policies; and
· save copies of receipts, warranties, and service agreements.