Attorney General Pam Bondi News Release
“Any signs of tax fraud or identity theft, such as receiving a letter that your tax return has been filed when it has not, should be reported to my office by calling 1-866-9-NO-SCAM,” stated Attorney General Pam Bondi.
Below are tips to avoid identity theft and tax fraud:
· Ask for credentials of the tax preparer, and ask if he or she belongs to a state board or bar association which requires continuing education;
· Do not provide your social security number unless it is required;
· Do not carry your social security card or write it on checks;
· Shred financial documents and papers before discarding them;
· Be wary of providing sensitive information via the Internet ;
· Do not respond to e-mails asking for information relating to tax refunds. The IRS’ website is the legitimate source for checking on refund status; and
· Check credit report every 12 months.