Attorney General Ashley Moody News Release
|September 16, 2019
Contact: Kylie Mason
Phone: (850) 245-0150
|en Español||Print Version||Tweet|
VIDEO RELEASE: Attorney General Moody Recognizes Rx Opioid and Heroin Epidemic Awareness Week with Announcement Slated for Friday
TALLAHASSEE, Fla.—Attorney General Ashley Moody is recognizing Prescription Opioid and Heroin Epidemic Awareness Week and will make an announcement this Friday regarding state efforts to end the deadly crisis. Since her first day in office, Attorney General Moody has fought the opioid crisis and this crucial mission remains a top priority of the administration.
Attorney General Ashley Moody said, “As Americans recognize National Prescription Opioid and Heroin Epidemic Awareness Week, we cannot lose sight of the fact that 17 people a day overdose and die in our state after using opioids. Since taking office in January, we have made significant strides in the fight to end the opioid crisis in Florida, and I commit to you that I will continue to do everything within the authority of the Office of the Attorney General to combat opioid abuse and save lives.”
Attorney General Moody has taken several major steps to combat the opioid crisis. Below are just a few of the actions taken this year:
- Negotiated a historic, multibillion-dollar agreement in principle to hold Purdue Pharma responsible for its role in fueling the national opioid crisis;
- Continues to aggressively litigate the state’s case against the 11 remaining defendants in one of the most comprehensive opioid cases in the nation;
- As Chair of the Statewide Task Force on Opioid Abuse, appointed three new experts to the team;
- Personally appeared in court and advocated expediency necessary for trial in the state’s opioid litigation to hold responsible the nation’s largest opioid distributors, manufacturers and pharmacies;
- Assembled a statewide working group of experts to identify strategies and best practices for addressing the opioid crisis;
- Issued a strategic report for combating abuse—Florida’s Opioid Epidemic: Recommendations and Best Practices; and
- Through the Attorney General’s Office of Statewide Prosecution, continues major drug interdiction efforts to stop the influx of deadly heroin and fentanyl.
To follow the online campaign, follow the Attorney General on Twitter @AGAshleyMoody.